Cross Place student flats proposals withdrawn

June 5, 2011 5:37 PM
Gareth Holden and Ed Bridges by Millbank House

Gareth Holden and Ed Bridges opposed plans for 23 student flats at Millbank House on Cross Place in Gabalfa.

The Gabalfa Focus Team have welcomed news that controversial plans for student flats on Cross Place have been withdrawn following local pressure.

Earlier this year, an application was launched which would have seen the demolition of the existing structure at Millbank House, and the construction of a three storey block of 23 student flats. The move was unpopular, not least because of existing parking congestion in the area caused by tenants of the halls at Llys Talybont.

Local campaigner, Gareth Holden, said: "Like many residents, we were concerned about the size and scale of what had been proposed, and the lack of any on-site car parking - and we wrote to Cardiff Council to object to the application."

It has now emerged that because of the concerns lodged by local residents and by the Focus Team, the application has been withdrawn.

Cllr. Ed Bridges said: "This is clearly very welcome news, and we are pleased that the developer will be forced to rethink the future of the site. We will be doing all we can to encourage a sensible, proportionate development at the site."

What would you like to do next?