Jenny Willott MP shocked to learn of asbestos risk at Cardiff University

August 28, 2013 4:18 PM

Talking

Jenny Willott, MP for Cardiff Central, has expressed shock at a report published in The Guardian stating that last year Cardiff University hosted 1,500 rooms for students containing the potentially deadly substance asbestos.

Jenny Willott MP said:

"I am greatly concerned not only at the extent of the asbestos present in university accommodation, but also that Cardiff University failed to warn their students about the potential dangers. While I appreciate that the material in question is deemed to be low risk, it should be down to students and their families, not the university, to decide whether this risk is worth taking.

"Simply waiting for something to happen before action is taken is not good enough; around 4,500 people die every year in the UK due to asbestos.

"I have written to Cardiff University asking them to explain why they are not refurbishing these rooms as a priority and why they took the decision not to inform residents that the substance was present in their rooms."

What would you like to do next?