Cardiff Liberal Democrats have published a full response to Cardiff Council's 'One Planet Cardiff' consultation.
As a key priority for the Liberal Democrats we welcome the opportunity to respond to this consultation, and look forward to working with the administration to make good on our declaration of a climate emergency.
Whilst public services respond to the immediate COVID-19 crisis, we must recognise that climate breakdown is the single biggest threat to humankind.
The Liberal Democrat response includes calls for:
- Transformation in citizen engagement, including revisiting the Lib Dems' calls for a Citizens' Assembly which were rejected by the Labour Council;
- Undertaking Carbon Impact Assessments for all new developments to inform if developments should go ahead;
- Move to a regenerative by design principle, not just sustainable development, with our built environment giving back some of what it takes away from the environment around it;
- Becoming a Carbon Literate Organisation;
- Establishing a National Park City, drawing on experiences from elsewhere across the UK such as Birmingham;
- A commitment to zero deforestation, including becoming a Sustainable Palm Oil City;
- Doing away with the use of pesticides in the management of the city's parks;
- Establishing a deposit return scheme.